transcription software/hardware ideas for Ti?

Malcolm Hamilton malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca
Fri May 23 08:24:13 PDT 2003

Hello all.  Half the time I spend on my Titanium, I spend
transcribing interviews.  Yes I've tried ViaVoice, and no, it doesn't
work well.. so here's my question:  is there a more elegant solution,
via some software or hardware that works with Mac OSX?

Someone mentioned some freeware called Express Scribe, but it doesn't
work with Macs.

Hardware question:  is there some way to record an interview, and
then stick the whatever-removeable-media-card into the free pci slot
in my Ti, so I can work with the interview on my Ti, without having
to transfer it in real time?

Then if I had the right software (if it's out there for the Mac) that
made it easier to transcribe (hot keys, variable speed control,
etc.), I'd be all set!!!

Or is this all too much to hope for?

thanks for any suggestions,

Malcolm

P.S.  My favoured recording device would be a mini-disc recorder, but
I can't imagine how I'd transfer the interview from mini-disc to my
hard drive.