[Ti] Thanks & DVD in Foreign Land?

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Fri May 23 12:29:33 PDT 2003

Dave,

DVD discs are coded with certain region codes. There are six regions,
that each cover a different part of the world.

1. Canada, United States, US Territories
2. Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East (including Egypt)
3. Southeast Asia, East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4. Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico,
South America, Caribbean
5. Russian Federation, India, Pakistan, Africa (except Egypt), North
Korea, Mongolia
6. China
7. Reserved
8. Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, and so on)

A DVD from one region can not be played on a player set to a different
region code. The reasoning behind this is to restrict the "free market"
and be able to release different editions at different prices in
different regions. Another reason is to reduce piracy (even though that
hasn't worked out very well, since the encryption was cracked and
pirated DVDs today are mostly region free).

The DVD player in Mac OS X can have its region code changed 5 times.
Once the changes are used up, the player will remain locked to a single
region.

There may be firmware hacks to make the internal DVD player "region
free". Many consumer DVD players are even sold in region free versions
(usually modified by the retailer). A region free player can play discs
from any region.

I'm not aware of any region free hacks for either the old Ti nor the
new Al, though they may exist. But as I said - you should be able to
switch the region code of the internal DVD up to five times.

/ Regards, David