dvd area restriction

philipp schmidt philipp at gulasch.de
Mon May 26 00:20:19 PDT 2003

Attempting to play a first DVD on my new PB, I was shocked this weekend
to see a drive-specific region restriction (which could only be changed
5 times).  I live in South Africa, travel extensively throughout Europe
and Africa and visit the US frequently.  I usually buy DVDs in airports
to avoid the gruesome collection of in-flight movies and never had any
problems playing them back on my Linux box.

Questions:

[1] Is there a way to disable the region restriction? Or use a software
application that ignores it?

[2] Is it legal (or if not legal, enforceable) for a South African
resident to do so? I believe we have no DCMA-like legislature in effect
here yet ...

Thanks.

Philipp