[Ti] Apple's Future

Murray Kastner murrayka at mac.com
Mon May 26 16:40:40 PDT 2003

At 7:59 PM -0400 5/26/03, CBIRDS wrote:
>on 5/26/2003 6:50 PM, NaegeleWDC at aol.com at NaegeleWDC at aol.com wrote:
>
>  > For a long time, I held off buying Apple products because I was
>unsure of the
>>  company's future.  Recently, despite an ever-declining market
>>share, I believe
>>  Steve Jobs is doing a fine job.
>
>And, a fair question would be, considering that X was supposed to be the
>savior OS for Apple, why do you suppose they are experiencing an
>ever-declining market share?

Because Microsoft continues towards offering a Mac-in-Windows
platform and Windows is offered by a variety of manufacturers,
assuring low prices which Apple just cannot match. Fr'instance, I
read where Dell even coerces its suppliers to do their inventory
stocking for them. That lowers Dell's costs and allows them to offer
deals regularly and otherwise practice shrewd marketing.

>Could it be that the Mac is not a Mac anymore?

As long as the Mac maintains its quality lead, it will have a devoted
following, especially since Steve Jobs brought some of the magic
back. By innovation and exploring new vistas, Apple will always be
the trend-setter and savvy Windows users appreciate Apple's forging
into new avenues, like music. I'd bet that Microsoft is well into
research and development of their own UNIX-based OS.

Finally, part of what makes the Mac so attractive to me is the
caliber of its users and this list is a good example of the Macintosh
charisma. Service. Quality. Users willing to share.  As long as these
three constants remain, the Mac remains my computer of choice and I
gladly pay extra for it.*

By week's end I will have my new 17" PowerBook and some lucky
Canadian will have my G4/400 with a year's (almost) AppleCare left on
it, which is yet another great feature of Apple:

*"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of
low price is forgotten!"

--
Best regards,

Murray
mailto:murrayka at mac.com

'The surest sign that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the
universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'

Calvin and Hobbes