[Ti] Apple's Future

John Roche jbr23 at drexel.edu
Mon May 26 20:28:16 PDT 2003

Michael Bigley wrote:

>OSX is the saviour of Apple; Mac user's who cling too fervently to
>the past may be the last to know. The only place that OSX is getting
>negative feedback is within the existing Mac community. Tech media,
>Unix/Linux users, Scientific community and more rave about it.
>--

I have to agree that OSX is probably the greatest thing that happened
to Apple since... I would guess the Power Macintosh.  I hate to sound
like a press release, but it's probably one of the best combinations of
power, security and ease of use that I've ever used.  It's built like a
tank: powerful, impregnable and unstoppable.  I've had everything from
web browsers to games "unexpectedly quit" on my Powerbook and it still
runs very smoothly.  I can't recall my greatest uptime, because I shut
it down occasionally when I'm not using it to retain battery life, but
regardless, it's a great system.

And I've used 8.1, 8.6 and 9 before this; they were pretty durable, but
not quite as much so as X is.  The only thing that would top this is an
OSX-powered Newton, maybe.  A G4-powered PDA would be pretty amazing,
IMHO.  Maybe they could include some FireWire and/or USB ports to help
transfer files, like an iPod.  Think abou it.

John