[Ti] Apple's Future

CBIRDS cbirds at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 20:35:22 PDT 2003

on 5/26/2003 11:28 PM, John Roche at jbr23 at drexel.edu wrote:

> I have to agree that OSX is probably the greatest thing that happened
> to Apple since... I would guess the Power Macintosh.

Wow, I'd say it was the biggest mistake they ever made. I guess there is no
in between, you either hate it or love it.

>  I hate to sound
> like a press release, but it's probably one of the best combinations of
> power, security and ease of use that I've ever used.  It's built like a
> tank: powerful, impregnable and unstoppable.

Well, I must say I've had a much different experience which is why I'm
reluctant to put it on my Titanium which runs like a clock on OS 9.1.

>I've had everything from
> web browsers to games "unexpectedly quit" on my Powerbook and it still
> runs very smoothly.

This is my biggest problem. Even apps like TE quit for no reason and there
is no way to up the memory or trash a file to fix them......there are so
many millions of cryptically named files, I don't dare touch any of them!
So, I reboot. Constantly. And constantly have to fiddle with the screen
geometry on my eMac as it becomes more and more distorted every day. The
thing weighs a ton, so not easily brought back to the store.

>I can't recall my greatest uptime, because I shut
> it down occasionally when I'm not using it to retain battery life, but
> regardless, it's a great system.
>
> And I've used 8.1, 8.6 and 9 before this; they were pretty durable, but
> not quite as much so as X is.

I still do the hardest and most serious work on OS 9, longest uptime is
about 1 year save for installs.
I guess X is a wash with many of us....and Apple can't afford to lose core
user base, if it is true that it is we who are the hardest on it.