[Ti] List content

NaegeleWDC at aol.com NaegeleWDC at aol.com
Tue May 27 04:39:07 PDT 2003

I do not disagree one iota with the thrust and sincerity of Lisbeth Zachs' comments; however, I believe Apple's future is fair game for discussion on this list.

Prior to buying a Ti 800 almost a year ago, I weighed two factors: (1) the likelihood that Apple would survive in the long run, and (2) the extent of user problems with the Ti.  Indeed, my Ti is the fifth generation of PowerBooks that I have owned, and I hesitated buying one until I was satisfied as to both issues.

As I have mentioned previously in thanking those on this list, I would not have purchased the Ti without the input from many of you, as to both subjects.  I had been burned by the 5300; none of the lawyers who work for and with me would seriously consider an Apple; my son who convinced me to buy my first PowerBook when he was getting his JD/MBA now has 150 people who work for him, and he wouldn't use an Apple as a "gift" (e.g., he believes it is just another "box," and that the future isn't in "boxes"), and to the best of my knowledge none of his employees has an Apple; and I was considering the purchase of a non-Apple product for the first time.

As luck would have it, I did not encounter bad-pixel problems or case scratching problems or flimsy-case problems, as so many others on this list had, but I did have paint bubbling problems that Apple fixed with a one-day turnaround.  It is only because of this list that I purchased another Apple, and that I have sincerely recommended Apple to others since then, and that I contemplate getting a Big Al and other Apple products.

Without a future for Apple, amidst its ever-declining market share, this and other similar lists will go the way of Macworld -- which I believe is a wonderful publication -- namely, each issue becomes thinner and thinner, until finally it may cease to be profitable.

Why else is this list important to me?  Because I do not see why any lawyer would ever buy anything except a laptop, Apple's laptop or from another manufacturer.  I have never owned anything else and can't see buying anything else (except perhaps an iMac because I like its looks).  The Big Al is attractive except for airline travel, where its size potentially creates problems.

Finally, I was hesitant to migrate to OSX, for reasons not dissimilar to recent comments on this list.  That too was a factor in whether to buy another PowerBook.  In other words, if I was switching operating systems, why not switch to Windows?  I have found, however, that OS 10.1.5 is great.  I can open the first MS Word document that I prepared almost 10 years ago, and it's really terrific, at least for me.  While I purchased Jaguar many months ago, I have never installed it because I am happy with 10.1.5, and I have been in the midst of briefs and didn’t want problems such as those described on this list and elsewhere.

I have the luxury of only needing a laptop, MS Word and access to the Web; whereas, those in the graphics business run many applications that are their bread and butter.  I assume that is why lots of the Mac faithful are still running OS 9, which I have used perhaps twice since I bought my Ti.

As always, best wishes to all,

Tim Naegele

www.naegele.com