[Ti] Black Lines in Display

Greg Markle MarkleG at kleerdex.com
Tue May 27 05:27:30 PDT 2003

I hear you there Ron!  My Apple ][+ stopped working at one point MANY years ago when I was still in school and we loaded it into the car to drop off at the local Apple dealer (which closed about 15 years ago) on the way to visiting some relatives.  (Un?)fortunately they were closed so we ended up carting the machine around all day and taking it back home where, lo and behold, it ran just fine when I plugged it back in.  About 98% of the chips in those babies were installed using friction-fit DIP sockets and the repeated heating and cooling would sometimes gradually cause a leg or two to lose contact...it became standard practice after that to just check them all once in while.  I'd hate to know what they would have charged me to look at that machine which, by the way, just happens to still function perfectly today.

The Apple /// on the other hand had some sockets which were sized improperly and it would literally eject chips out of the sockets quite forcefully, many times destroying the chip itself.  The bad rap Apple got for that problem was one of the reasons that they lost a lot of ground to the then new IBM PC which was the major competitor with the Apple /// for the business market at the time.  I know none of this has anything to do with TiBooks so flog me if you wish!