[Ti] Durability [OT] Was: Black Lines in Display

Greg Markle MarkleG at kleerdex.com
Tue May 27 06:56:23 PDT 2003

I'd have to agree with Lisbeth, I have a regular smorgasbord of Apple machines at home dating back to 1981 and not one of them refuses to boot and run.  The only problem I ever had was with a faulty sound in port on a Performa 6230(?) which I no longer have and Apple sent a tech to my house to install a new motherboard six days after I called them - I have few complaints there!

What you're really looking at here is the durability of laptop computers which, for ALL computer manufacturers, is nowhere near as good as desktops.  The space restrictions and tighter tolerances make for a much greater rate of failure than desktops and I have seen no indication that Apple is any better/worse than other major manufacturers for the most part.  What can be an issue with Apple laptops is that they are typically an early adopter of new technologies and that can lead to some problematic issues (like the infamous "exploding batteries" and some of the early TiBook issues.)