[Ti] List content Was: Apple's Future

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Tue May 27 08:10:58 PDT 2003

>I sincerly hope that their will be _no_ substantive comments about
>such articles on this list. I don't mind you sending a link but
>discussions about this belongs to other lists. If you do insist
>please mark [OT].

Okay, I sincerely do not mean to be an antagonist here -- and that is
not always the case ;-)

I do appreciate the reminders about properly posting OT posts, etc.
but for those of you who are get emotionally charged about it, and/or
have slower connections and are frustrated by the waste of bandwidth,
there is a powerbook list that is heavily moderated and, in fact,
does not allow OT posts:
<mailto:powerlist-list-info at sparky.listmoms.net>
The subject "Apple's Future" would most likely have been rejected, as
they have a list that specifically discusses that.

Many people subscribe to both lists; it was from a referral on that
list that I discovered this one. While this list is, technically,
moderated, in the 2-plus years I have been enjoying it, it is clear
that the moderator is very light handed.

That freedom of expression that some complain about is what, IMHO,
give this list personality.
- I appreciate being able to post OT technical questions to this list
because their are many, many smart and experienced people here.

- This is the only list I subscribe to where I feel like I have a
co-worker-type relationship with many of the folks here... because we
have talked about our cars, our opinions, and our lifestyles (and
sometimes even as they relate to our computers!).

- Yes, I get frustrated with improperly marked OT posts, though
usually when I disagree with the content ;-)  I would not trade it
however, because I do appreciate the information that folks like Tim
direct me to, the humor of people like Loren, the knowledge of people
like Kynan, Shawn, Trevor, et al.

- With several people on this list I have regular email exchanges
off-list; this is not something that avails itself to the more
sterile, focused-topic lists.

I truly hope none of you will leave this list (I still miss Flipper);
but if the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up every time
you see an OT post, then you may want to question whether the health
risk is worth it ;-)

To grossly paraphrase the addage: "If you want a good watch dog, you
have to tolerate some unnecessary barking." Please keep reminding us
about OT posts, but try to accept some of our "unnecessary barkings"
to keep this list what it is.

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com