[Ti] OT - Looking for a new printer

Simon Chapman sc at pr100.com
Fri May 30 07:53:45 PDT 2003

At 1:59 pm +0200 30/5/03, Alexandre Kapellos wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm looking for a new printer to print mainly text. Later I will be
>buying on to print photos.
>My local dealer has a deal on the HP deskjet 5550, for CHF 179.-
>Anybody have any feed-back on this one?
>
>I've been a (happy) Epson user until now, and I was looking into their
>printers that can print on CD's also. Are they any good?

I made the switch from an Epson 1520 to an HP CP1700 (both A3 printers) and
couldn't be happier. The CP1700 is a lot more than you need right now but
it does great text, great photo quality colour prints, great solid colour
graphics and seems much faster than my previous printer. It also has a 2nd
paper tray and a duplexer (both optional extras) which makes it ideal for
printing multi-page docs where p1 is on headed stationery, and for printing
both sides of the paper in one hit. Usually I keep tray 1 for envelopes so
that I don't have to manually feed them one by one any more and that is a
great relief.

As for CD printing on the Epson, all the reports I have read, on the net
and in magazines, say that it is uselessly bad.

Simon