[Ti] Upgraded Hard Drive in Big Al - problems

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Sat May 31 08:01:23 PDT 2003

At 4:08 AM -0700 2003.05.31, Photios Dumont wrote:

>Anyway, this is just some observations, and if anyone has some more
>information, I'd be very interested, as may others.

I encountered these exact problems with multiple 80 GB drives in multiple Big Al's some time ago and posted my findings.

A single partition cannot be installed with Apple's System Software DVD. The symptoms are the same as you describe, an inability to boot followed by a kernal panic. This applied to a TiBook as well.

Separate partitions (50/30) did work fine.

I reported this to Steve Jobs and the appropriate manager at Apple and was told I was wrong. I hove not heard back since then.

BUT - the problem appears to be with Apple's System Software DVD. I have gotten 2 of the 80 GB drives to work. The first one I created using Carbon Copy Cloner after initializing the drive and I'm still using it. The second one was somehow initialized by the store that installed it, after multiple failures. It is possible that they used the System Software DVD and lucked out. I forgot to ask them.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)