[Ti] [OT] Re: [Ti] Panther Firewire debacle

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 1 17:53:37 PST 2003

> On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 11:22  pm, Jesse Proudman wrote:
>> I hear EVERYBODY complaining that the finder doesn't "work" but I've
>> yet to see any one explain WHY it doesn't work.

I think I did a explain why in my early e-mail.  Now onto Tarik's
response:

On Nov 1, 2003, at 4:53 PM, Tarik Bilgin wrote:
> * I hate that the default, and only possible "snap to grid" gridsize
> is so big as to make the icon views all unusable for me on my 15" Ti.
> therefore I only ever use column view mode, which causes problems as
> the computer is constantly reading disk to show me a preview of the
> file etc.

I guess that could be a problem (the snap to grid thing), but with
column view I pretty much never want to use icon view again.  As for
the preview thing, why not just turn off Preview?  Problem solved!  You
can either click the preview arrow in the preview pane, or go to Show
View Options (cmd-j) and uncheck "show previews."

> *I wish when I started typing "a" ... "d" on the keyboard with Finder
> in focus, it would move to files like "Adobe Photoshop 7" rather than
> first going to the first file that begins with "a" and then jumping to
> the first file that begins with "d".

Well, I guess you should probably hit "a-d" a little quicker as if you
were typing it.  The way it works great for me, and I have Delay Until
Repeat in the preference pane set to the shortest possible (which, it
seems, controls the difference in keyboard-finder navigation).

Hopefully that helps,
Benn