DVD Player sensitivity

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Fri Nov 7 12:27:36 PST 2003

This is just a quick survey of others' experiences with the DVD drive in PowerBook G4s. I notice that playing rented movies can sometimes be a problem with the movie freezing, DVD Player crashing
etc. at the exact same spot repeatedly. The drive is obviously having a problem reading a certain spot on the disk. I've cleaned the disks carefully and inspected them closely, often seeing only a
few very minor scratches which shouldn't be a problem (or even none at all).

This happens about 1 in 10 disks. I have to believe the same problems aren't occurring on the consumer DVD players as often as this.

I thought it was just my drive, but a new Aluminum PowerBook G4 has also exhibited failure within the first few disks I tried.

Do others have similar experiences (i.e. are the DVD drives on PowerBooks more sensitive to non-pristine disks) or do I have exceptional drives? Or maybe I'm just unlucky in picking the faulty disks
off the rack more often.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com