install stupidity 101-long text

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Tue Nov 11 15:35:58 PST 2003

Tarik, you asked :-)

Ok....stupidity.
Just your regular run of the mill impatience, not thinking right
stupidity, topped off with a bit of "indecision".  Just my style :-)

I backed up anything I thought I just couldn't lose before I did the
install.
Fine so far.  I read over "some" of the documentation.
I was still indecisive about whether to totally wipe the drives and
install, or do one of the other two options for install.

I began the install and chose the archive and install not the upgrade
nor the disk wipe and install.
However I got wondering about halfway through the process and started
thinking (award stupidity points for this one),
"geez...will this install save all my settings???".  "oh my George
Bush, maybe it won't!!!" Panic.
Big research paper due in a few days..etc..etc.. :-)

LOL instead of just reading a bit more. I quit the installer in that
kind of "I know I shouldn't put my hand in the
fire but I can't stop myself" type of frame of mind.  Manual says not
to do this :-), but I did it anyway.  Maybe it was my 7 month old
pulling on my pant leg, while spitting up on my sock, or my 3 year old
screaming as she ran through the room for the 10th time, "DADDY, DADDY,
DADDY..."??? :-)
Perhaps, some insane "windows type" mentality overcame me (ya ya I have
pc's too, maybe that's the problem?) :-)

Needless to say after this little bit of maneuvering, I had no original
start up folder on my original volume/disk to restart the computer
after I had let the installer change it into the venerable "previous
system" folder.

"Hmmmmmm...", I thought, "now what?".
I reasoned.  Me = smart.  Computer = dumb.  Therefore I should be able
to out smart the computer.
Ah...harken back to the good old OS 9 days.  "Just rename the folders
silly boy, put them in their proper places in the directory and it will
show up", I thought to myself rather smuggly.

Nope, even with changing permissions on the folders, dragging them
where they are supposed to be, nothing showed in the installer startup
disk selector.  Restarted ..nothing.

"Hmmmmmm....", I thought, "now what?".
I reasoned.  Me =  not so smart.  Computer = not so dumb.
Ah zapp the old PRAM. That might set it right.
NOPE.

"Hmmmmmm....", I thought, "now what?".
I reasoned.  Me =  not smart.  Computer = not dumb.  Forget reason,
follow intuition and blind luck.
So..... Me = more intuitive.  Computer = less intuitive.  "Can  you
feel the love?" I asked my tibook. No answer.

I run the installer again and pick (drum roll) THE Upgrade.  It starts
its thing.  No indication it knows what to find to upgrade.  I wait...I
wait...  I start chanting "Tibooks rock...Panther is are cool" or
something like that. Bingo.  Installer picks up where it left off,
finishes the job. Restarts. Everything is as it should be.
I cheer, I hug my wife, I shake my baby off my leg and run through the
room yelling "YA YA YA". (ok I didn't do that but i should have)  :-)

Wiping the sweat off my brow and shaking my head at being so silly and
stupid I formulate some rules for
further work.

Tim rule #1
Read the damn read me's a bit closer and let it sink in :-)
Tim rule #2
Don't doubt yourself.  You are an intelligent human being, trust the
process :-), Trust Apple, Trust the programmers, Trust Stevey J and the
Apple miniborg experience,  "Steve, Steve, Steve" "yes master... as you
command master".  :-)
Tim rule #3
Avoid timing upgrades with anything "pressing" because you may just
"shoot yourself in the foot" and you will worry about things way more
than you need to.  No matter how bad you want to, upgrade that is :-)
Tim rule #4
Do not have kids around when installing software you are worried about
!!!   If they must be around....
bind them in several coils of rope, stick lollipops in their mouths and
let sit, until the process is done. :-)
Tim rule #5
Remember its highly logical to reject logic in favour of intuition, but
in cases where you really need to solve something follow your intuition
:-)

I know it wasn't that big a deal but, I just couldn't believe how
stupid I was concerning this.
Hope you had a laugh.

Otherwise it works just flawlessly.  I like the expose feature
immensely.

cheers,
tim

tim.molnar