Panther network connectivity (long)

John Crane jbcrane at cranedigital.com
Sat Nov 22 18:34:52 PST 2003

On Nov 22, 2003, at 6:46 AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List wrote:
> Once you have a share mounted, you can simply drag it to the Dock, or
> to the "startup items" section in the System Prefs under your account
> information.  It will then let you either single click it to mount from
> the Dock, or auto-mount on login.

Thank you for the input. but...

It appears, at least, the way Jaguar accomplishes/displays network
activity vs. the way Panther does represents a significant change. I'm
also beginning to think there's something wrong with the way my network
settings are shown on the Powerbook under Panther. I've deleted
NetworkInterfaces.plist with no noticeable effect.

Jaguar network connectivity:
1. In Jaguar, at the Finder, when you select Go/Connect to Server, I
get the window that says: Choose a server from the list or enter a
server address," and all of my servers are shown as blue globes in the
left pane.
2. When I click one, it shows me the shares available in that
workgroup. The available shares are not aliases, but disk images. 3.
When I follow through with connecting to one, the disk image mounts on
the desktop and life is good. I am not, however, able to drag this to
the Dock and alias it. The mounted disk image shows in the left pane as
it should, and it's just like working off another disk.

Panther network connectivity:
When I attempt the same thing using Panther, it's a completely
different world:
1. When I click on Go/Connect to Server (Cmd-K) I get a similar window
as in Jaguar, but no drop-down with "At:" prefacing it, only 1 shown
pane (as opposed to 2 in Jaguar), and most importantly, no available
servers to connect to. In other words, it doesn't seem to "go out and
look for" available computers to connect to. Clicking the browse button
opens a new, brushed Finder window with Network selected in the
left-most pane, and the available network workgroup options shown in
icon view in the right pane. I switch to panes view and click a
Workgroup.
2. This opens a new pane which shows me an alias of the machine's name
within that workgroup. In other words, I could have done this to begin
with-I didn't have to use the Go/Connect to server menu drop-down.
3. I connect (same, wrong user name with password empty, despite the
fact I've asked Keychain to remember it).
4. I'm shown aliases of all available shared drives on the remote
machine. The aliases stop, and turn into actual files when I click on
the shared drive's name (and expose its contents).
5. No disk images mount in the left-most pane of the Finder window,
(despite the fact I have the Pane preference checked to do this), nor
on the desktop ala Jaguar.

More Panther constructive criticisms:
Also, I don't like the way when you click on the Trash to see what's in
the trash can, you get a pane in what looks like just another finder
window, with no visual cue that you're actually looking into the trash
can other than the black text atop the window. It could be an interface
improvement to add the trash can as an option in the sidebar. If we're
being trained to use the brushed metal finder window using the visual
cues, rounding out those visual cues with this component would be more
consistent. In the Finder preferences I see no option to include the
trash icon.

PowerBook 17" running os 10.3.1
Any suggestions or pointers are, as always, appreciated.

Best regards,
John B. Crane
Principal
CraneDigital, LLC
Visual Communications for All Media
jbcrane at cranedigital.com
+1 (970) 229-1462
www.cranedigital.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
are addressed. If you are NOT the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be
advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited.