[Ti] Panther network connectivity (long)

G'kar gkar at mac.com
Sat Nov 22 19:44:20 PST 2003

On 11/22/03 9:34 PM, "John Crane" <jbcrane at cranedigital.com> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2003, at 6:46 AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List wrote:
>> Once you have a share mounted, you can simply drag it to the Dock, or
>> to the "startup items" section in the System Prefs under your account
>> information.  It will then let you either single click it to mount from
>> the Dock, or auto-mount on login.
>
> Thank you for the input. but...
>
> It appears, at least, the way Jaguar accomplishes/displays network
> activity vs. the way Panther does represents a significant change. I'm
> also beginning to think there's something wrong with the way my network
> settings are shown on the Powerbook under Panther. I've deleted
> NetworkInterfaces.plist with no noticeable effect.

Panther *does* act differently than Jaguar and it isn't for the better. If
you choose to browse the network and connect then the share doesn't get
mounted on the desktop. However, if you don't browse but manually type in
the name/address then the share is mounted. Join the crowd and send feedback
to Apple asking that this be changed.

> More Panther constructive criticisms:
> Also, I don't like the way when you click on the Trash to see what's in
> the trash can, you get a pane in what looks like just another finder
> window, with no visual cue that you're actually looking into the trash
> can other than the black text atop the window.

No different than any other version of the OS. You do get a visual cue at
the top of the window - rather than seeing the folder name and icon you see
the icon and name trash.

The terrible thing about terrorism is that ultimately it destroys those who
practise it. Slowly but surely, as they try to extinguish life in others,
the light within them dies.

Terry Waite