[Ti] Cannot share internet connection

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Thu Nov 27 07:58:47 PST 2003

On Nov 27, 2003, at 5:20 AM, Tom R. no spam wrote:

> Any idea the technicalities behind why doing the Sharing Internet
> tab thing, at least in 10.2.6, gets the following unprecise alert?
> Including, of course, what if a NATing router were between the
> cable modem and one's Mac?  I'd rather not experiment to find
> out, if possible.
>
> "In some cases (if you use a cable modem, for example) you might
> unintentionally affect the network settings of other ISP customers,
> and your ISP might disconnect you to prevent network disruption"

My guess is that this refers to your Mac giving out network information
over DHCP, and with cable, computers in the same household are often
not on the the same subnet, meaning that you share a subnet with
computers outside of your house and you giving out DHCP may interfere
with the cable provider doing the same.

If you are a behind a router, however, you shouldn't affect those
outside the router.  Just be aware of whether or not your router is
already giving out DHCP settings.

--
Justin R. Miller
incanus at codesorcery.net