Revisited: Airport Extreme IP address issues?

James Hall me at nine2000.com
Thu Nov 27 08:04:02 PST 2003

Okay - thanks to everybody who replied to my plea.  I took my powerbook
to work, where we also have a wireless network, and got the same “hey, I
didn’t get an IP address, so I’m just making up my own” error message.
Confident that there was a hardware problem, I had my wife drive me to
the Apple Store after work.

We stepped inside and I opened the pb just to get the error message up
before we talk to the Genius.  The card worked flawlessly.  Connected
instantly and solidly. :/  The genius suggested walking down to a
restaurant where they have another wireless network (secure this time)
to see if my pbook recognizes it.  I did, and it did.

Confident that there was just a fluke - maybe “something technical with
the system”, I went home with my newly-re-internet-capable powerbook.
Strolled in the house, opened the powerbook... held my breath...
nothing.  Generated it’s own IP.

SO - I unplugged the router, unplugged the modem.  Plugged the modem in
and waited for it to get all comfy, then plugged the router in and
waited for IT to get all comfy.  Opened the powerbook and blammo - I was
on the internet.  YAY!

I was able to get on the net all night long.  Then, when I opened the PB
this morning, same thing - cannot get an IP.  Ended up doing the reset
thing again - what a drag. =/  Still, I’m on the internet for now.  I
think I may try a .11g router and see if that makes any difference in
being able to *maintain* an IP address.

I’ll keep you all updated (because I’m sure that this will do *someone*
some good, hehe)

Thanks,
James