[Ti] Revisited: Airport Extreme IP address issues?

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 27 11:02:15 PST 2003

On Nov 27, 2003, at 9:04 AM, James Hall wrote:
> SO - I unplugged the router, unplugged the modem.  Plugged the modem in
> and waited for it to get all comfy, then plugged the router in and
> waited for IT to get all comfy.  Opened the powerbook and blammo - I
> was
> on the internet.  YAY!
>
> I was able to get on the net all night long.  Then, when I opened the
> PB
> this morning, same thing - cannot get an IP.  Ended up doing the reset
> thing again - what a drag. =/  Still, I’m on the internet for now.  I
> think I may try a .11g router and see if that makes any difference in
> being able to *maintain* an IP address.
>
> I’ll keep you all updated (because I’m sure that this will do *someone*
> some good, hehe)

This sounds eerily similar to a problem that has really ticked me off
since getting my Airport Extreme Base Station and 17" Powerbook with AE
Card.
I connect using the modem.  Anytime my roommate unplugs the phone or
picks up the phone to use it, when I go to reconnect, the base station
will dial and connect, but once connected, nothing will function--can't
check mail, can't browse the web, nor anything else.  The only solution
was to unplug and re-plugin the power.  After it resets, I dial up and
all is well...
But recently, this has began to happen whenever I disconnect and then
try to reconnect, whether its from being online until my ISP cuts me
off, or just needed to reconnect for some reason.  I disconnect, wait a
full minute for "the modem to reset" (is that really necessary, anyway?
  My graphite base station never had to do that!), and connect only to
find I'm going to have to reset my base station.
Also worth mentioning is when it's in that "state" I can't configure it
from Airport Admin Utility, so I can't just change it from there.
On a different day I may not have even bothered typing all this out, so
I'm sorry if its no help to anyone.  Though if anyone has any
suggestions or ideas, let me know.

Benn