[Ti] airport base

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sat Nov 29 11:24:01 PST 2003

Having recently been through the setup screens of 5 different
802.11b access points, I can report that different brands/models
have different security functionalities available.  We're
thinking of going to 802.11g, and this may be our determining
factor deciding what to buy.  For example, the graphite Apple
basestation with like v2.0.2(?) AirPort seems not to
braodcast its beacon signal at all (a good thing) when "closed
network" is enabled; the dual ethernet snows with some later
version of AirPort (I don't recall which, now) seem to
broadcast a beacon signal but don't broadcast the network
name.  Other brands don't have any such option; other brands
are like the graphite but what it's called in the setup screens
is different (this last issue in general can be a major
time-waster).

On Nov 28, 2003, at 2:46 PM, Silvo Conticello wrote:
 . . .
> a) is there any specific advantage in using the Apple airport base
> compared to non-Apple ones?
 . . .