[Ti] Sync two computers ?

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sun Nov 30 14:56:42 PST 2003

on 03/11/30 09:17, Ron Cooper at rcooper at newmex.com wrote:

> My question is how do I constantly have all, files, new application
> installations and updates in sync?

Welcome to the club of Responsible Computer Users.  You'll probably get a
lot of different ideas.  Here is my routine:

* Each morning, back up my /Users folder to a 10 GB partition of external
firewire drive #1.
* Each evening, back up my /Users folder to a 10 GB partition of external
firewire drive #2.
* Each Friday, do a Bootable System Backup to a 30 GB partition of external
firewire drive #1.
* Each Saturday, do a Bootable System Backup to a 30 GB partition of
external firewire drive #1.

* Keep firewire drives #1 and #2 in different buildings, being mindful of
fire, theft and floods when selecting the storage location.

* Once every few months, or after a system upgrade, test your Bootable
System Backups (boot from them) and see if they work as expected.

The backup of /Users is pretty trivial and can be done with a number of
utilties or applescripts.  The Bootable System Backup requires some fancy
programming, so most people use a capable utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner
or Synchronize! Pro X.  It is probably overkill, but it allows you to boot a
similar replacement Mac using either of these external drives and be back in
business immediately.  If you're not into overkill, as long as you have not
hacked your System, backups of /Applications, /Users and /Developer (the
latter if you've installed Developer Tools) is probably sufficient for you
to piece your life back together after such a disaster.