[Ti] 10.2.8

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 1 00:54:36 PDT 2003

Massimo Marino paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Indeed. Why 'cheerleader' anyway?
>
>I always have seen problems in mailing lists after updates. To my
>knowledge this is the first Apple pulls out so they recognized they
>could *fix* something in it. In all these updates Apple warns
>against using hacks to the OS and they did it with this one as well.
>But they pulled it so I am not saying it was 100% OK.
>
>I have a *procedure* for updates that still has to prove me wrong
>(it might not have helped me if I had a dual G4 450MHz - apparently
>this is the one more frequently hit). Before updates I *clean* my OS
>repairing privileges and running Diskwarrior. I use only COMBO and
>then repair privileges again. 10.2.8 gave me problems with the
>battery which seems to have been solved by resetting the NVRAM.
>
>I have a colleague whose Mac is a third-party add-ware junk-yard and
>had to reverto to 10.2.6 . Was I surprised? Not really.
>Again, 10.2.8 seems to have fallen even shorter then customary but
>on Apple Discussions there is hardly more than a thousands users who
>have problems (different posts that is). Apple reacted and pulled it
>quickly because of the dual G4 issue with ethernet loss but
>otherwise 10.2.8 is working OK for a lot of people and no different
>then previous updates. (MHO)
>
>Massimo

Why cheerleader?

Good question, but a more relevant question is: Does Apple see
themselves as powerful computing, 'for the rest of us', with plug 'n
play, easily navigable systems that Grandma can use to post pictures
of the dog on her .Mac account, or a company catering to these (in
their own mind) wizards who run OpenFirmware reboots,
repair-in-advance routines,  and use extensive third-party 'security'
procedures to inoculate themselves from Apple software that is
'rushed out the door'?

The boys in Cupertino, and their sycophantic cheerleaders, can't have
it both ways. They harp about quality, so fine, lay it on us,
starting with latches, updates that aren't destructive, and a 21st
century Finder, for starters.

For one thing, with all due respect, we have to realize that
commentators here, who are also part of the Apple-centric media, have
a vested interest in saying Very Nice things. I'm al for that. But
really, dear readers, don't look to the ad-conscious advance men for
consumer advocacy.

Think different doesn't imply think dumb, after all. IBM's thing
"Think" was a little terse, but more to the point.

I don't 'hold Apple responsible', for anything. As a matter of fact,
with the relatively few mechanical problems on the Ti-Books, I think
those underage children in Taiwan and mainland China deserve a nice
round of applause. Don't get me wrong, all the big companies use
slave labor, somewhere. But the deal is, when you slap your brand
name on the item, you take the heat. And Apple can't blame their
hugely bungled 10.2.8 update on children in Asia, IBM, or the fact
that their Marketing-targeted demographic isn't entirely composed of
semi-paranoid techno wunderkinds.

The 'buck' (so to speak, not to be confused with the buck-a-day
laborers) has to stop 'somewhere'. I think that was what was
referenced to by the notion of 'coming clean'. Making it 'right'
would be a nice gesture. I'm not holding my breath. <laughs>

~flipper