[Ti] 10.2.8

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Wed Oct 1 08:10:02 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 02:37  PM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 07:33:37 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Henry Kalir <kalirhe at umdnj.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] 10.2.8
>
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, gkar at mac wrote:
>
>> On 10/1/03 2:57 AM, "Massimo Marino" <Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov> wrote:
>>

>>> I have a *procedure* for updates that still has to prove me wrong (it
>>> might not have helped me if I had a dual G4 450MHz - apparently this
>>> is
>>> the one more frequently hit). Before updates I *clean* my OS
>>> repairing
>>> privileges and running Diskwarrior. I use only COMBO and then repair
>>> privileges again. 10.2.8 gave me problems with the battery which
>>> seems
>>> to have been solved by resetting the NVRAM.
>>>
>> Everyone should print this and tape it to their monitor. I've been
>> following
>> essentially the same regimen since day one and haven't had an update
>> problem. I have 4 Macs in my household, and I'm responsible for a 40
>> Macs at
>> work including a 25 computer lab.
>>
>> BTW, I updated my test computers and my own desktop (a dual
>> QuickSilver)
>> with no problems.
>>
> David,
>
> With ALL due respect - your average Mac user has one computer and is
> used
> to a "plug and play" OS which doesn't require all that
> "sophistication" or
> "caveat emptor" when allowing an update from Apple.
>
> Best,
>
> Henry

If the average Mac users does not modify with add-ware the system
configuration s/he will probably do well with the incremental update as
well, although s/he would suffer if/whenever a system file got
corrupted in some weird way: with the old system it might still go
unnoticed, with the new one (and OS X is STILL evolving) it immediately
creates problems.
The COMBO ensures that all your files are *factory default* per the
previous system. If you know you have installed (and de/installed)
applications, tried out some shareware, etc. you better do with the
COMBO rather then the incremental. It is the user responsibility to
know whether they should use it: Apple provides it for a reason.

With reference to my add-ware junkyard colleague: he is the one
complaining why each incremental update more or less screws up his Mac.
I always ask him why he behaves like that and essentially he invariably
replies to me with terms similar to yours. (Not saying you are in
similar situation, far from me). "Hey, it's Apple. It should just work".

In THESE cases I cannot be *that* sympathetic: he NEEDS the combo to
force update and restore system files/configurations. He does not use
it and whines. What can I do for him? He is bound to get into troubles.

Now, 10.2.8 undeniably is faulty (not for everybody, every system) and
Apple pulled it. Hopefully will release it in short time.

AND, I raised my voice the same: for example I cannot understand why
the battery problem got unnoticed for laptops and sent feedback to
Apple concerning this.

Cheers

	Massimo