[Ti] 10.2.8

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Oct 1 15:08:26 PDT 2003

Michael Bigley typed this message on 10/1/03 3:10 PM:

> I would suggest reading the software agreement that most of us click
> "I agree" to when we update or install software.

Well, maybe now we will not be so trusting and we will withhold our
agreement clicks. Too bad though, most of us have trusted Apple to release
only well research and well crafted software.

> Besides, what is it about modern culture that makes us want to jump
> into a lawsuit at the drop of a hat?  Sorry if this offends you
> lawyers, but that is the lamest attempt to resolve an issue; in fact,
> it resolves nothing, rather it deepens the rift and the next product
> you buy will have your cash and the attorney's fees built into it.

Well folks, it is a case of applying responsibility where it belongs! If
Apple installs crap on my computer that trashes things and causes havoc,
then they and they alone are responsible and should be made to pay for it.
If they choose not to assume responsibility and they make no move to award
damages to those affected, then they should be made to pay in a court of
law. As simple as that!

> If you want to force a company to change their practices, don't buy
> their products.  It's simple, it works. Always. Apple is a billion
> dollar company that will stand up and take notice if their loyal
> following says, hey, you are not going to get my $129 for Panther, my
> $99 for dotMac until you change the way you are doing things.

Hey, great idea! Thanks for that. This is precisely what I plan on doing (or
not doing).

> But we won't.

Oh yes we (at least I) will!

> Or at least not enough of us. Why is Apple still not
> offering an upgrade path for their OS... a little "give back" for us
> bleeding-edge early adopters? Because they don't have to.  Enough of
> us shelled out the money for Jaguar that they feel comfortable
> charging full price for Panther as well.  As much as I railed on this
> list and others about the full price upgrade, I was only able to hold
> out for about 3 months (then I won a copy at an Apple Seminar).

jg