[Ti] The persistent battery issue - post 10.2.8 update

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 2 16:18:33 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 01:21  PM, Jennifer Landefeld wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 03:22  PM, Benn wrote:
>> Well have you actually ran the battery for 1.4 hours to see if the
>> charge goes to 10%?
>>
>> After 10.2.8, when I unplug my powerbook it reads 1:14 remaining.  I
>> watched quicktime videos in full screen for about a hour and the menu
>> bar read 1:18 remaining, but was at 70%.
>>
>> So basically, you can't really trust the reading in the menu bar.  If
>> you have trouble lasting 3-4 hours on your 'book after the update
>> (assuming you could last on the battery that long before the update),
>> then maybe you have a problem.  Test it out.
>>
>> Benn
>
> Hmmm, hadn't considered that. I'll have to check that.
>
> Thanks,
> Jenn

Read this over at MacFixit.com:
"Issues with battery life after an (pulled) 10.2.8 Update: Purported
Apple confirmation
Over the past few days we've been reporting issues with decreased
PowerBook and iBook battery life after installing the (pulled) 10.2.8
Update. A MacFixIt reader wrote in describing his conversation with
AppleCare about this problem:

       "Today I called AppleCare and asked about why my battery was
acting so strangely [after installing 10.2.8]. I was put on hold for a
few minutes while the phone tech talked to someone else. He came back
on the line and said that it was a known issue, and that Apple wasn't
recalling batteries just yet. He also said that restoring the system
software to 10.2.6 wouldn't fix the problem. He said Apple is working
on a fix and will release it soon via SoftwareUpdate.""

Benn