[Ti] 10.2.8

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sat Oct 4 00:04:03 PDT 2003

I'm aware of what it takes to liven AppleCare.  I was at the
AStore because I'd just discovered we'd bought the server
unit 3 days short of 1 year ago and didn't want to risk
delivery from elsewhere.  (Reliable enough it's hard to
remember it's even there :-) .)  The issue is, there was
_no choice_, no freedom to live my own life and deal as I
freely chose with what was being sold as just another
package on a shelf in a store.  The sense was, they weren't
doing me a favor--and the supervisor made no mention of that,
interestingly--, they were doing themselves a favor and there
was no way to opt out of the "favor".

Re why that's an issue, it's just a standard privacy/security
matter.  And it was truly kindof silly, as well as kindof
oppressive.  (In any case, I'd have felt the same, but it is
true also that I've recently had a bad experience with
AppleCare only partially fixing an iBook's video--like fixing
a car hood which flew off and was destroyed, by replacing it
with a hood with a dent in it, and then saying the new dent
wasn't important because it couldn't be seen while driving
and it didn't affect the "functioning" of the hood.  The kind
of thing Big Brother can get away with, maybe like an
apparently not-fully-tested OS upgrade.)  If your friends
don't tell you when you start making mistakes, your enemies
certainly won't.

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Peter Krug wrote:
 . . .
> I'm not really a Cheerleader  (8^D) but I think in this case the
> AppleStore was going to register the AppleCare for you, thus saving
> you the trouble of going online or over the phone and doing it
> yourself.  Probably not the big brother you think, as you can order
> AppleCare from the AppleStore online without divulging your serial
> number.  In order to make your AppleCare work, you will have to infom
> Apple of the computer you are putting the warranty on by giving them
> the serial number.
>
> Pardon my asking, but in this air of the 10.2.8 Apple-bashing (where
> is that official fix for powerbook batteries, anyway?), why is this
> AppleCare issue a big deal?  Glad you got a good deal.  Smalldog
 . . .