17" did not survive update

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Sun Oct 5 10:55:11 PDT 2003

Just for a data point, and not to start a another great philosophy
discussion, my 17" (1GHz) did not do well with the new 10.2.8 update.

I fired off software update and left the machine alone.  A while
later I walked by and the screen was plank.  No amount of pressing
keys would wake it.  It was powered on because the caps lock light
would respond to the caps lock key.  I have seen this state before on
various machines.  I suspect that maybe there is a dialog displayed,
(or maybe the 4 language kernel panic thing), but the display is
turned off, so the user can't see it, and does not know what to do.

My only choice was to hold down the power key to turn it off.

Unfortunately, it would not boot.,  I would get the wagon wheel, then
I would get a blue screen, but the welcome screen would never come
up.  Just solid blue screen for ever.  I tried this several times.

I had to do an archive and install from the original DVD.  I did disk
first aid first, but it found no problems.

After the archive and install, software update did work.

    Sherman