[Ti] AOL only does HTML

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Thu Oct 9 06:11:09 PDT 2003

>I realize that AOL bashing seems to be as in vogue   as  Apple
>bashing is   in the PC world.  And just as a lot of misinformation
>gets passed around by the Apple bashers, it sure seems like AOL
>bashers pass around a lot of misinformation about AOL.

I don't see this thread as bashing, but rather legitimate issues with
proprietary software; you are obviously a long time, power user of
AOL (and you have a loyalty bias to AOL that has been expressed often
on this list). The main issue is that there is not a simple way for
average users to access the features you discuss, which can cause
frustration and certainly causes problems for web developers and ISPs.

This is not bashing; note the number of sites that have "AOL users
click here" buttons, as well as my previous post about mailing list
problems.  When a company, especially one the size of AOL, because of
their proprietary software, causes hundreds of thousands of gainfully
employed developers and ISPs extra time and frustration to do their
job, the will (deservedly) be disliked by those folks. When we say
AOL sucks, it is based on experience.  AOL's proprietary software was
necessary in their early days, but they have had 10 years to migrate
their app to "the rest of the world".  They have chosen not to; don't
expect us in the development world to respect that.

The users who have been contributing to this thread are definitely
not "newbies" and most could be considered "sophisticated users".
The fact that they are frustrated with certain features of the
software indicates that the software is flawed in its design, if not
its function.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com