[Ti] AOL only does HTML

PaulaTx1 at aol.com PaulaTx1 at aol.com
Thu Oct 9 12:18:47 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/9/2003 1:08:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wakinyan at fuse.net writes:

> >Is loyalty bias a sin? Explain how my loyalty to AOL is a sin  but my loyalty to Macinstosh is a virtue.<
>  Ah, there is your loyalty bias' negative side; you inferred  that I was stating that it is a bad thing.<

    I guess the second or third time I read "AOL SUCKS" in this particular thread,  I took it negatively.  I didn't realize one can say that  and not be speaking negatively.

     > In computing, loyalty bias creates people like yourself who become experts in particular hardware/software; others less experienced rely on you for certain information about the product because they know that you will have a reliable answer more quickly than searching acceptable sources in the case of AOL, keywords I suppose).<

     Let me state that I am NOT  an expert in any particular hardware or software.  I make my living in a very low tech industry.  When I studied computers in college, it involved learning how to keypunch to enter data.    That was long ago.  I'm just the ordinary Mac user.  I'm not trying to tell any expert what to do or think.  I'm simply trying to point out to people that AOL is capable of doing things that  people are claiming is not possible.

   >>Especially since AOL owns Netscape, the best solution for users and developers would be to eliminate their proprietary web interface and simple launch a web browser.>>
    Are you blaming them for going to the trouble to buy Netscape?  Are you blaming them for not wanting to be at Microsoft's mercy?  I'm just wondering.
     You also said their only motivation is  advertising revenue.  What is their motivation supposed to be?  Last time I checked, in order to stay in business, a company had to be solvent.  Revenue seems a good way to do that.   I guess they could try going to a thousand dollars a month for access...but I doubt that would work.
     <<What AOL does to the developer community is no different; so when you speak highly of them, remember, they are throwing their garbage in our yard.>>
        I fail to see how  AOL is "dumping garbage" in your yard  solely because they don't cater to your whims.  They don't cater to  mine, and I don't consider them dumping garbage in my yard.
        It would be nice if AOL were free,  and if they gave a free powerbook with every account, and could they also mow the yard?  I appreciate the fact that AOL is large enough, solvent enough  to keep things developing.   We have chat rooms, we have instant messages, we have photos in our emails. They actually make an effort to have a safe website for kids.   We have AOL spending bunches of money going after spammers.  Does MSN do that?  I fail to see how you think AOL is "dumping garbage" in your  yard.   Your garbage analogy just doesn't work for me.
        Don't take this email as dumping garbage in your yard.  Take it as my response  to your post   because it's intended as nothing more than that.
                       Paula Rutledge