Bluetooth Firmware Updater 1.0.2 - Don't Do It

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Thu Oct 16 18:04:13 PDT 2003

Apple has just released Bluetooth Firmware Updater 1.0.2.

Don't Do It. Or maybe go ahead. But be forewarned.

I should have read VersionTracker's boards first. My problem was identical to several others on the board.

I have an Aluminum Big Al 17" with built in Bluetooth. The updater has dire warnings:

Downloading firmware cannot be canceled.
Downloading firmware may take up to 5 minutes.
Don't let your computer sleep while downloading firmware.
Don't turn off your computer while downloading firmware.
Don't reset your computer while downloading firmware.
Click the Update button to begin.

Seems pretty simple. No ReadMe to bother with. Cool.

I press the Update button. The update appears to start, dimming out the Cancel button. A dialog appears telling me that I do not have a Bluetooth adapter in my computer.

Hmmmm. Maybe someone took Big Al apart and took it out?  ;-)   Nope, it was working moments ago.

Now what?  It has emphatically told me not to restart my computer. Not to cancel the update. Oh well, Force Quit. Try it again. Same thing.

Restart Big Al. Try again. Success!!!!  Maybe that is the answer. You should do it only from a Restart? Perhaps the dire warnings apply only if you are seeing it in process of actually doing the update. Mine was just sitting there looking for an adapter which it couldn't find. (Must have been hiding.)

BTW: VersionTracker board's say that others are having success only when the have Bluetooth turned on. I can't say as I did have it turned on already.

YMMV
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net