[Ti] iTunes for Windows is out

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Thu Oct 16 23:09:51 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:32:16PM -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
> Does anyone yet know if the Windows iTunes will work properly with
> a Mac iPod and MacDrive 5, or another Mac filesystem-mounting app?
>
> I'm at work, and unable to test this.  I REALLY don't want to be forced
> into reformatting my iPod's drive, just because I choose to use both
> MacOS and Windows.  Particularly since the conversion process is
> irreversible.

Generally bad form to follow up to oneself, but since nobody replied and
I've now had time to test this:  The answer is "no".

I ended up having to install the Windows 1.3 software on my iPod and
reformat it as FAT32 to get the iPod to work with iTunes on Windows.

MacDrive 5 didn't make a bit of difference.  Windows iTunes wants
Windows-formatted iPods, and only Windows-formatted iPods.  I'm rather
disappointed about this.

I'm further disappointed that my iPod, using the Windows updater, hung
for 1.5 hours, forcing me to put it into test mode, run the HD test, and
finally into forced firewire mode to get the WIndows 1.3 updater to work
properly.  For a while I was terrified that I'd just killed my iPod.
Sure, I'd love an excuse to buy one of the new 40GB ones, but having
moved from working in tech to make money to working in tech to make a
difference, $500 isn't the impulse-spend it once was. ;)

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org