[Ti] iTunes for Windows is out

gkar at mac gkar at mac.com
Mon Oct 20 13:24:53 PDT 2003

On 10/20/03 4:16 PM, "Shawn King" <shawn at yourmaclife.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/03 2:16 PM, "cheshirekat" <cheshirekat at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>> What makes you think the MacBU would "slack off"? They make *millions* of
>>> dollars each year from the Mac products and if there's one thing MS likes
>>> and is good at, it's making money.
>>
>> If it were simply a matter of "making money" then why doesn't the MacBU
>> make millions from sales of other products for Mac users, like Access, etc.?
>
> Probably because MS doesn't feel there is *enough* money to be made for the
> effort.

Back when Microsoft was showing off Office 98 at all the dog and pony shows
I asked the Microsoft rep at the tech preview I attended about Access. He
told me it was heavily optimized for Intel architecture and the Mac version
would not be able to leverage the existing code. That being the case, it
would be a complete rewrite.

Whether that is true or not, I can say that we are quite lucky Microsoft
hasn't brought Access over to the Mac. Granted, there are lots of businesses
that are heavily invested in Access and for that reason will never switch to
the Mac, but it is an [expletive deleted] monster of a program. I freelance
database work and dread jobs that require Access. It is powerful to be sure
but it is so full of strange quirks and frustrating bugs that I sometimes
despair of getting a successful product out the door on time.

Cheers
david

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

gkar at mac.com