[Ti] AirPort downloading and sleep

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Sat Oct 25 08:52:44 PDT 2003

This is an application issue, not an OS issue; every application is
responsible for notifying the OS if it is busy and thinks that the
computer shouldn't consider itself idle for sleep purposes.  Some
applications will prevent sleep while doing things, some won't.  You
can try switching applications, or you can run something in the
background that will keep it awake (something like DVD player running a
DVD would work, for example, though an odd workaround).  Or, as
somebody else suggested, set the display and computer sleep separately;
there's not really anything horrible about your computer being on a few
extra hours, as long as the display is off.  Even if the display were
on, there wouldn't be anything wrong with it, except that your maximum
brightness would decrease over a long time if you did this repeatedly.