[Ti] DVD+R and Superdrive

gkar at mac gkar at mac.com
Mon Oct 27 14:56:21 PST 2003

On 10/27/03 4:51 PM, "Gary Mark" <gmark at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> I am awaiting delivery of my 15" AlBook with SuperDrive and bought some
> blank DVD+R discs in anticipation.  Unbeknownst to me, there are so
> many different types of DVD blanks.  I know Panther is supposed to
> support burning to DVD+R (not DVD Studio Pro nor iDVD though), but I
> think this is for the Pioneer A06 mechanisms.
>
> What would happen if I stick a blank DVD+R into my AlBook SuperDrive??
> Am I only to buy DVD-R/RWs?

This comes straight from Apple's website in regard to the PowerBook
superdrive:

"Better still, the SuperDrive-equipped PowerBook G4 is compatible across the
board, supporting DVD-Video, DVD-ROM and DVD-R, as well as CD-ROM, CD-Audio,
CD-R, CD-RW, CD Bridge, CD Extended, CD Mixed Mode and Photo CD media."

Don't know if Panther changes any of this - I don't have any DVD+R media to
test it (any more). Shortly after I got my QuickSilver desktop I picked up
two packs of DVD media and didn't pay any attention to the fact that DVD-R
and DVD+R media was mixed together. My computer merely spit out the bad
tasting disk! So I'd expect your notebook will do the same.

You're gonna love the PowerBook - it is a lovely machine.

david
One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

gkar at mac.com