[Ti] To Archive and Install, or Not

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Mon Oct 27 16:33:21 PST 2003

On Oct 27, 2003, at 1:05 PM, John wrote:

> I have an installation of Jaguar archive and installed on top of 10.1,
> and am a bit unsure what to do with 10.3. I bought a faster larger
> drive, which is very very nice (carbon copy cloned), but am not too
> sure if I should back all of my data off my internal drive, and wipe
> the internal. This means somehow I have to get all of my settings onto
> the new installation of Panther (mail, safari, network settings,
> etc.......).

Transferring the user settings is pretty easy.  There's an AppleScript
that you can use to back them up:

> So, will I get better performance if I do a clean install?

No, I don't think so.  I upgraded my Powerbook with an upgrade over the
top of Jaguar with no problems.  I upgraded my dual G4 Power Mac with a
wipe and fresh install.  I see no advantage to the fresh install, other
than some extra work created for yourself in reconfiguring the box.

I do have one problem under Panther.  Fink appears to be broken
partially.  I tried to install GIMP and it wants the Apple X11 SDK in
order to do so.  Apparently the SDK comes with the X11 install on CD3
in the Panther box, but Fink doesn't like that one.  Attempting to
install the old SDK also fails because the installer detects that I
have newer software.  Anybody else run into this?
--
Chris