[Ti] Off Topic: iPod and slot-loading iMac 350mhz

William Scammell wscamel at pop.ici.net
Tue Oct 28 12:17:52 PST 2003

>I know that this is completely off topic but it's ok because I do own a 12"
>PowerBook. I can't seem to find an answer in any iPod forum.
>
>Anyway, I have a wife with an iPod and I also have a slot-loading iMac
>without Firewire. My wife is the primary user of the iMac and wants to be
>able to use her iPod with it rather than depend on my PowerBook. Providing
>that I install Panther, will I be able to use the USB 2.0 iPod cable to
>transfer music? I've been told that USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB
>1.0. I do realize that this, if possible, will be a painfully slow transfer
>when compared to Firewire. Has anyone tried this? Am I an idiot for thinking
>about running Panther on a 350mhz G3?
>
>thanks,
>
>Brian

here's a possible solution, though pricey:

http://www.megamacs.com/v1/?action=view&pid=1262183&criteria=imac%20firewire

in case that link doesn't work... (or loads slowly as when i tested it)

search on "imac firewire" and look for

"Sonnet Harmoni G3 600MHz Upgrade for Tray loading iMacs"

(nose around dealmac.com as well, that's where i started.)

William Scammell                     Creative Director
wscamel @ pop.ici.net                  781-956-3548

http://www.idesignofboston.com provides
graphic, advertising, and web site design services.