[Ti] Panther FireWire debacle

David DelMonte ddelmonte at mac.com
Fri Oct 31 08:45:38 PST 2003

I've been running Panther on a test machine for a while now. According
to press, the problem seems limited to firewire 800. There are new
drivers available today from LaCie and WiebeTech for their firewire 800
equipment. I have an external LaCie firewire 400 drive (L2/200), and
it's fine.

Actually surprised how few problems I have with this major release.
When other systems are upgraded (Windows for example), my experience is
that generally few drivers work and manufacturers all are scurrying to
provide updates. Users often need to wait a year or so before they can
upgrade their particular configurations. It's a different paradigm to
be able to upgrade on day 1 or 20.

David