[Ti] iPhoto import/export

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Fri Oct 31 13:31:13 PST 2003

On Oct 31, 2003, at 3:03 PM, Malcolm Hamilton wrote:

> Apologies right off the bat - - I suspect there's a better place to
> ask this question, but I've checked a bunch of apple/support pages,
> and asked at the local Apple store, and can't find the answer to a
> simple (I think) question.  If anyone can point me in the right
> direction, or answer it themselves, I'd be very grateful.
>
> I have a G4 powerbook and a G4 Tower.  I want to copy my 2,000 photos
> which are in iPhoto on my powerbook into iPhoto on my Tower (once
> they're safely copied, I'll probably delete a bunch on the powerbook,
> because currently iPhoto runs very slowly, I guess because it's
> overloaded).
>
> I can connect both computers via ethernet.
>
> But I can't seem to copy the albums from the powerbook to the Tower!
> I've tried dragging and dropping to no avail.  I've tried 'Import',
> and 'Export', to no avail.  I don't know what to try next.

I think the easiest and fastest way would be to connect them with a
Firewire cable, reboot the tower into target disk mode (hold down T at
boot), and then copy the PowerBook's ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library folder,
~/Library/iApps/iPhoto folder, and
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist file to the corresponding
places on the tower.  That is, if you don't already have iPhoto set up
with albums on the tower.  As for merging with an existing collection,
I'm not sure if you can do that in the Finder or if it requires a
third-party tool.

--
Justin R. Miller
incanus at codesorcery.net