[Ti] Panther FireWire debacle

Steve Martin martin at directlink.net
Fri Oct 31 13:56:41 PST 2003

The other debacle that hasn't gotten as much attention, but you can bet
it will is that use of File Vault frequently leads to many preference
files and data files being corrupted, apparently after you allow it to
reclaim space.  This got me and I was only able to recover thanks to
diligent backing up.  I imagine many people will lose quite a bit over
this.  In my case, without backup, I would have lost my Address Book,
iCal calendars, Mail (preferences were reset, but mailboxes were still
there, I'm not sure how average user would have recovered them), iTunes
Library, Dock preferences, iChat preferences, etc.

There is a growing Apple Support Discussion on it.  Best to avoid File
Vault like the plague for now.

--
Steve Martin                              http://www.cheezmo.com/
Smart Calibration, LLC           http://www.smartcalibration.com/