Some GOOD Panther features...

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 31 14:44:59 PST 2003

OK, I know everybody is so absorbed in various assorted problems with
Panther right now...  For me, everything has worked PERFECTLY.  I did
an archive and install over 7B68, which was working great for me (so
well that I didn't bother upgrading to 7B74, even though I burned the
install disks).  Anyway, I did an archive and install for the final
version, and I have no issues with it whatsoever.  Panther has been an
improvement since I first installed it in my hotel at WWDC, although
there were a few issues, as one would expect with any beta.

Keyboard backlighting on my 17" 1 GHz PB has come and gone with the
betas; currently it works most of the time, though not always right
away when it gets dark; sometimes sleeping and waking up fixes it,
sometimes just the screen dimming from energy saver makes it work
again, sometimes making the room bright and dimming it again fixes it.
Rather random, but it has been steadily improving since the early
betas.  Don't ask me why it broke in the first place, since it seemed
to be working pretty well in Jaguar...  ;-)

Anyway, two cool new features of Panther, both are only applicable to
Journaled HFS+; one is disk defragmentation.  Whenever you open a file,
if it is under 20 MB, and has more than 8 fragments, it will be copied
to another contiguous location on the disk.  This should help improve
disk access speeds.  Another speed feature is that Panther will move
the most frequently used files to the fastest part of your hard drive,
after sampling how often files are used for about 2.5 days.  This only
applies to small or moderately sized files, and is limited to only a
few megabytes, but it will help many things, I'm sure.

Just thought you guys might be interested.
There's a discussion of the features (and the Darwin 7.0 source where
they were found) at:
<http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?
a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=9900929295>