[Ti] [OT] what to say to Windows users:

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Mon Sep 1 12:26:46 PDT 2003

> Computer (IT) people aren't money people, and money people
> (purchasing/Planning) aren't computer people. Microsoft sees the
> reality of this every time they look at their margins. Do you think MS
> 'accidentally' created the y2k 'bug'? It generated over $12 Billion US
> for MS and MS-certified 'consultants'. But enough. A child in 1995
> would know that "2000 was coming", as did Apple

I wouldn't blame MS fro the bug - anyone programming in Fortran, Cobol,
etc.. in the 70's and above saved disk/tape/card space by using just
the last two digits. Now, as for MS's part in it - after Win 3.1, there
was no reason for any computer running Win 95 and up to have any
serious issues with the whole date thing - HD space was getting
"cheaper by the 1024". Although if I remember correctly, MS did release
a patch. And, you have to remember - people who make databases, whether
on the Apple or Win platform, make the decision whether they use a full
date - MS doesn't mandate that.

Anyhow, if I ever run into someone who "insults" the Apple platform, OS
X, or anything else, I just smile, shrug my shoulders, and let them
waste their breath. I am happy with my system, programs. Perhaps I
would prefer better performance, but some of that is due to Adobe
(Illustrator 10.0.1), Macromedia (Dreamweaver MX), and Quark 4.1
(requirement at my workplace) in classic. Some is due to font issues,
which I am (slowly) taking care of. Hopefully by the end of this month
I will have figured out which fonts I can substitute with real PS
fonts, and which I'll have to live with (dfont, ttf). Console in hand,
I should make good progress.

If they try to engage me in debate, I'll talk. Otherwise, why waste my
breath? I have way too much to do, and frankly, I am a bigger person
than to be insulted in such a way. If letting them feel superior makes
them happy - so be it.