[Ti] Mail.app use or abuse?

mac2 mail mac2 at oryx.cc
Tue Sep 2 14:38:40 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 09:12  AM, cbirds wrote:

>  I also need to configure about 90 more domains into Mail.app, have 9
> now.

I am assuming you mean users/user id's, not domains here???

> But I don't dare.
>
> Whenever it says "too many connections" and won't send via my ISP's
> smtp, it tries to swap me to mac.com even when I check with the script
> to see that I have wiped out mac.com's smtp.
>
> Then Mail just shuts down.......and won't budge and the accounts
> become greyed out.
> It's like a stubborn mule and I have to go in and set things up all
> over again.

I have 83 user configured across 3 different servers.  My slowest site
connection (of all the places that I visit with my powerbook) is a 128K
ISDN link.  When I start Mail.app up cold from that site, I have to
leave it alone for 5 to 10 minutes to let everything get sync'ed up.
After that, Mail.app works fine.  By stating "leave it alone", I mean
put Mail.app in the background and work on something else.  At other
sites with better bandwidth or at home with my cable modem, it is
almost instantious<sp>.

> Other times it says the passwords are wrong, when nothing has been
> changed.
> I am not used to this with emailer which does pick up all those
> domains in one fell swoop, and up to 1,000 emails daily, without a
> hitch.

Maybe you have a keychain problem??  Have you ran any diags against it?
  There was a good article about a week ago on
http://www.macosxhints.com with password problems.  Here is the
specific url:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2003082822315680&mode=print

Hope that this helps.

> But, in my case, now that I have been spoiled by the PHP and other
> server functions like being able to FTP into the machine from afar,
> having mail on another machine to work from is not convenient.

I have written PHP stuff for web services, and I have FTP'ed files
between systems, but I don't understand how you are trying to relate
this to Mail.app.  Can you please explain this further??

I would also add again that all my user accounts are configured for
IMAP over SSL and I do full message caching.  The caching may be what
is saving me and keeping my configuration usable?

Jerry K