[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

Tarik tarik at opalblue.com
Wed Sep 10 08:07:56 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 02:32  pm, Murray Kastner wrote:

> Now someone tells me that there may be a lawsuit going on somewhere in
> Europe for precisely opposite factor. Can anyone either confirm, deny
> or advise on this?

I can't confirm or deny.

>  I was of the opinion that videocassettes fade with time while DVDs
> are much, much longer-lived.

Generally yes they are much longer lived ( assuming that tape based
media are normally not stored properly, away from harmful magnetic
fields ) but DVDs are in no way "permanent". It is all relative. I
would wager that if you stored your data on DVDs and then made new
copies every 5 years and kept 3 generations you'd probably be fine
though.

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue