[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Wed Sep 10 10:20:39 PDT 2003

At 9:32 AM -0400 2003.09.10, Murray Kastner wrote:

>Concerning the durability of DVDs as a storage medium, I always thought of DVDs as the ideal storage medium because they were durable and their contents did not fade or deteriorate very much.

Even in the early days of CD-RW's, as we moved beyond 2x and 4x, it was found that the faster the write the lower the data retention. Our desire to record CD's instantly led to less reliability, in some cases probably less than with floppies. Some companies require that all their backup CD's be recorded at 1x .
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)