[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

Greg Markle MarkleG at kleerdex.com
Wed Sep 10 10:28:22 PDT 2003

> GREGORY
>
> Since the dyes have different longevity how do you choose either CD
> or DVD of archival use?
> --
> Have a Happy and Enjoy
>
> Richard E. Meyeroff
> Meyeroff Computer Consultants
> 718-265-3781
> FAX 718-266-6671
> REM at Meyeroff-C-C.com
> Member  Apple Consultants Network

Richard,

Whether for any logical reason or not, I've always preferred the "silver" substrate CDs.  They seem to have wider compatibility in CD drives and players (not really an issue with newer mechanisms but critical with many older devices) and since they are closer to the spectral response of a true CD one could surmise that they would perform better even as deterioration sets in.  As for any longevity studies between the different substrates...I haven't seen any.  I guess I could toss some CDs in our weathering machine here at work but UV and rain exposure would be a bit much!  I haven't really studied recordable DVD substrates (I expect that they are very similar) since I don't possess a drive yet (waiting for the new 15".)

Gregory Markle, Color Technician
Kleerdex Company - http://www.kydex.com/