[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Wed Sep 10 17:42:48 PDT 2003

>I'm not a mind-reader, so I can't vouch for John G's point, but,
>when I hear about 5 -10 yr life expectancy on DVDs or CDs, I have to
>wonder also. I, too, have some ancient floppies. (Like Photoshop
>(plus example files) on a 400K floppy, for example), and hardly any
>of hundreds of them have deteriorated noticeably in a lot of years.

I once left a floppy in my shirt pocket; it went through the washer
and dryer. The metal "protector" broke off, but I stuck the thing in
my Mac IIci and copied the data off with no problem (Don't try this
at home, haha). I have been contemplating putting the hundreds of
floppies I have onto a couple of CDs, but guess that wouldn't be
worth the time, eh? Do hard drives degrade without use?  They are so
cheap now, perhaps a hot swap device would be the best bet on long
term storage???
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com