[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

Selwyn Ward selwyn.ward at btopenworld.com
Thu Sep 11 02:16:22 PDT 2003

This debate over DVD durability is very reminiscent of the similar
controversy over Laserdiscs.  Anyone remember them?  Forerunner, of course,
of DVD technology. What seemed like a "permanent" media proved not to be
when it was discovered that some were prone to "laser rot".  I may be
misremembering this, but I thought the cause was alleged to be the
deterioration of the glue that bound the layers together.  The effect was
that speckles appeared on playback, so that a picture originally far
superior to VHS tape could end up far worse.  Having said that, I have a
large library of movies on Laserdisc and only one with which I've noticed
any significant problem, so maybe, as with so many media, it's sensible
storage that's the key.