[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

William Scammell wscamel at pop.ici.net
Thu Sep 11 04:14:19 PDT 2003

[big snip]

>For data, of course, all of this that I mention is beside the point.
>The big issue, to my way of thinking is: What happens when, through
>advancement, or consolidation (whatever) directories on the CDs and
>DVDs are no longer in the lingua franca of playback systems? No
>matter how well preserved the actual data, once you get the "This is
>not a recognizable format" dialog, it's over. Data recovery can get
>pricey, and is justified in extreme, and limited, cases, but an
>entire collection of years of data/images/video, etc???   I wouldn't
>want to have to pay for it.
>
>I wouldn't bank on anything lasting all that long.

[snip]

i don't use CDs or DVDs at all, instead i buy a fresh back up drive
every 1.5--2 years.

i keep the newest 2 drives as redundant back ups.

while this isn't a perfect system either, even if 1 drive goes bad,
at least i have the other.

(i also try to actually use these drives as little as possible,
i.e. don't use them for photoshop or browser cache, etc.)

my 2 cents.

William Scammell                     Creative Director
wscamel @ pop.ici.net                  781-956-3548

http://www.idesignofboston.com provides
graphic, advertising, and web site design services.