[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Thu Sep 11 06:46:56 PDT 2003

EVERY storage medium will degrade over time.  Among CD-Rs, the best is
probably Mitsui, which I would expect to see maybe 100 years, assuming
you don't abuse the CDs.
A few years ago, I went through a huge stack of floppies, reformatting
each one to see if it had any bad blocks.  If there were bad blocks,
the disk got tossed; once it starts going, it's not a good idea to risk
using the disk if you care about your data.  Two thirds of the disks
got tossed.  Now, these disks weren't under ideal conditions, but
rather real-world conditions.  They got carried around, used, whatever.
  But I've had far more floppies fail on me than CD-R or DVD-R discs.
Anyway, even a hard drive will eventually go bad.  You might get a
little more time out of it if it's not plugged in, but even so it will
eventually die, and if the controller on the drive dies 3 years from
now and you don't find out about it for 15 more, it might be hard to
find a new controller card to swap in to try and resurrect the drive.
Somebody else had the best idea; keep multiple generations of backups
if your data is that important.  I would also recommend using several
different types of storage media; maybe MO, for example.  And, of
course, you should keep backups in multiple locations.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html